How To Prevent Eye Infections Caused By Contacts

develops an acute allergic reaction

Contact lenses are a comfortable and convenient alternative to glasses for many individuals. However, individuals with certain allergies or sensitivity to the material used in contact lenses may develop an acute or chronic eye allergy to glues, polymers, and materials used in the manufacture of contact lenses. Individuals who wear contact lenses are at a higher risk of developing corneal ulcers, a painful and possibly life-threatening condition of the cornea. They are also sometimes known as corneal sores. If an individual develops an acute allergic reaction to a specific type of contact lens, it is important to treat this immediately.

One way to treat an acute allergy is to eliminate the allergen and to replace the contact lenses with a disposable lens solution that contains reduced protein, anti-allergenic proteins, and antimicrobial agents. Another way to treat a chronic lens allergy is to use an Eye Drops that contains aluminum chloride or calcium carbonate. The use of an Eye Drop can be limited to overnight wear only, if there is a risk of discoloration of the eye, or if the individual prefers to avoid redness, itching, and inflammation. The specific medication should be prescribed by a doctor. In addition to specific eye drops, other medications for overnight wear may be available from your Optometrist.

Microorganisms of greatest concern

An organism that resides on the surface of the corneal epithelium is called an organism. An organism may cause a visual disturbance called aberrations or blemishes, if scratched or disturbed, which can be alleviated with the use of specific antibiotics. These antibiotics kill any microorganism of greatest concern, including the bacteria that cause most cases of contact lenses allergy. Microorganisms of greatest concern include Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus, and Streptococcus aureus. Other organisms often present in and on the ocular surface are: actinomyces candida, dermatitis, atraumatica, atrophic leukoplakia, and neurolytic.

The drops and ointments used to treat a lens allergy may be diluted with tap water and should never be given to a child without consulting a physician. The recommended dilution is one part drops of a contact lens solution to a quart of water. This dilution is useful in that it ensures that the drug is not being consumed, while ensuring that the individual does not consume the drops and then become dehydrated.

A contact lens user who develops an infection

Although the organisms responsible for lens infections cannot be seen with the naked eye, microscopic examination of fluids produced by the lens can provide clues as to their source. If the source of an infection is found to be contaminated tap water, then these lenses should be flushed out with clean, fresh, and treated water. If a secondary infection occurs in the same lens, the individual should consult a physician to determine the best course of treatment for the particular situation.

Should immediately stop wearing the lenses and report this occurrence to his or her eye doctor. The eye doctor will conduct tests to identify the source of the infection and prescribe appropriate medication. In some cases, antibiotics may be prescribed to rid the lenses of the infection. The patient should notify his or her eye doctor of any eye problems that he or she develops during or after wearing the lenses. By wearing clean, fresh contacts for as long as possible, a patient can avoid developing eye infections.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *